Drop-Kick

Today's slice of awesome is brought to you at the expense of a poor mother struggling to get her kid into the car. Church had just ended and we were getting our own children into the car. We believe in bribes after church for good behavior so usually the kids are excited to get home to their treats.

I watched a mom manhandle her two-year-old into the backseat, only to have him stiffen. Imagine this, he's going in horizontal, legs first, and he stiffens so she can't fold him into the seat. He wriggles and writhes like a stricken earthworm so she is forced to bring him out to get a better grip. Now, I don't know why, but I think it's instinctual for children to suddenly go limp when they sense your hold on them may have lessened. He turned into little boy jelly and slumped to the parking lot. I think his mother thought the fact the pavement was super wet would shame him for his poor behavior. It didn't. He knelt on the wet pavement, yelling in frustration, and then when his mother let her hold go for just a second, he took off and tried running away.

Short legs are the curse of a fleeing child. His mother caught up quickly, grabbed him, and proceeded back to the car where he stiff-legged her again. I think she won, but I felt kind of bad just watching by that time, so I got into my car and drove my family home.

I've been there. To ever parent who's been in the same spot, you're awesome. Your kids are awesome too, just not right then. The fact your face said you wanted to drop-kick your child, does not make you a bad parent (unless you in fact, drop-kick your child--please don't do that).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Met the Governor of Oregon

A Father's and Son's Campout