Black Plants and Trees "Stovepiping"



I have a double-header today. The picture above is for the second item so you will have to patiently read the first part before you get to that. Stay tuned. I was sitting at work today when all of a sudden, everything went dark. Let me remind you I work at a power plant. If we go dark, something has gone pretty wrong.

Turns out, someone had been fixing some fuses and pulled one he thought wasn't vital. It was vital. Screens went dark, lights extinguished, and the comforting hum of machines slowly died off.

I walked up to the control room and I have to say, it's pretty awesome working with an experienced team of operators who stay cool in the face of what looked like something out of a movie with alarms going off and warning lights blinking. They had things rectified in short order and we moved on. Pretty cool. Public Service Announcement: Don't pull fuses you aren't sure about.

To the picture. This is a tree burning from the inside. A good friend of mine in the National Guard returned from service in the Brookings, Oregon area where a major wildfire burned an insane amount of acreage. He explained to me what "stovepiping" was. Trees have cracks and void space inside the trunks where the fire can travel and work it's way up the tree. Some of them can spout fire out of the top of them, catch the upper foliage on fire, and then fire can travel from tree to tree above the ground.

It's pretty incredible. I hate using the word awesome to describe something so devastating, but its pretty awesome what can and does happen in nature. My thanks to all the servicemen and women who serve on the public's behalf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rain is Awesome

I Met the Governor of Oregon