Innocence

There are a few things I've noticed over the past week or so that make me both happy and sad at the same time. I think there's a fancy word for that but I can't quite put my finger on it, nor am I motivated enough to go and get my dictionary out.

I love how simple things make children happy. I love how a red balloon from a restaurant can make my son the happiest kid on earth. I love when my daughter tromps around in pink rubber boots and a church dress. I like how she finds puddles to jump in, even if they are half-way across the parking lot. I like that a really cool fort-building set was initially not the most exciting thing they got for Christmas, but when it got to be time for bed time and the possibilities of sleeping in tents were realized, the present suddenly skyrocketed to best thing ever.

I love that just about the only thing they really want and require is time and attention. Sometimes I'm more willing than other times to give it, but the investment always pays off.

The sad part for me, I suppose, is in knowing these simple things will not last forever, and they will face the difficulties of life. I wouldn't want them to stay kids forever, but at the same time wish they could. Each new day is an adventure and brings the promise of awesomeness. For me, the next day more often than not just brings more work, but the silver lining is always coming home at the end of the day and having two little ones pretty excited to see me, unless their engrossed in a TV show. I guess you can't have everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Father's and Son's Campout

The Blackberry War

I Met the Governor of Oregon