No Coincidences

Let me tell you about Daniel. He is a new member of our congregation, and has faced a lot of challenges in his life. Among other things, he is currently homeless, living in a tent by the highway. He's also one of the coolest guys I've met. Despite this and other challenges he has, he has one of the most positive attitudes I've ever encountered. In my church responsibilities I have to try and help with the temporal needs of those in my congregation.

Something awesome happened. We've been trying to find a permanent housing situation for Daniel, and a lot of people put in a lot of effort. One amazing sister in our ward specializes in helping people with this sort of thing, and we thought had a place for Daniel to land with a refugee family from Somalia. Then their lease ran out and he couldn't get past a background check to be put on the lease renewal. He was back out on the street just as the weather was turning.

Then I had a good friend in my ward call me one night out of the blue, just as I was trying to figure out how we could help Daniel next. He had a house available. I got pretty excited, and I informed Daniel that we had a place he might be landing. You could see the relief. Well, that house fell through the next week. I was going to tell Daniel today in church that we were back to square one but not to lose hope. I had prayed several times for the Lord to help one of his sons find a place he could get out of the rain, wind, and impending Oregon winter.

He looked a bit bedraggled today--entirely understandable when you consider the torrential rain and wind we had yesterday and all he had was a tent. He had a huge smile though. He had been admitted into an apartment complex that specializes in renting to folks in Daniel's position. That place typically has a huge waiting list and Daniel was nowhere near the top.

I don't believe in coincidence. I believe the Lord will find ways to help us and show His hand. I'm sure I don't always recognize it but I did today. That's a pretty cool slice of awesome.

Comments

  1. What a great way to start my day! God is aware of everyone and their needs...no exceptions!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Met the Governor of Oregon

A Father's and Son's Campout