Technology is Awesome

I'm sure it's common these days, but let us dwell for a moment on the following: I was on the phone--not a landline--but a cell phone for a teleconference between at least thirty to forty people in locations from New Jersey to Hawaii. I had a laptop hooked into my house WiFi, through a VPN that connects to my company's headquarters. I can access the files of all of my facilities, which are in Washington, Oregon, and Michigan. That's cool. What's cooler is I could do it in the comfort of my home, sitting in a pair of sweatpants.

Now, I don't wear sweatpants often, but when I do, I prefer them when I'm sick. Technology enabled me to sit at home, spew virus all over the house, and still get everything done that I needed to. Even ten years ago, that would be virtually impossible. Twenty years ago cell phones were the size of shoeboxes and modems were dial-up. The internet was barely alive, but growing fast.

It's all pretty cool. The entire world can view an event from a thousand different locations as its fed through little blinking lights routed along overland and undersea cables to your homes. The interconnectivity of the world is amazing and terrifying.

Today it was awesome. Enjoying technology in sweatpants is even more awesome. Colds are not awesome.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Met the Governor of Oregon

A Father's and Son's Campout